Here’s an overview & review of the May 2012 article by LifeScript.com called, Arthritis Remedies: 10 Foods That Help and Hurt.
First a little biology review about how the body processes what we eat and why we get the physical results that we do or don’t.
Your LIVER is your 2nd largest organ. Its job is to as refine, detox, and convert everything you eat, breathe, & slather on your skin (FYI, 60% of what you put on your skin enters your body via bloodstream and within 20 seconds has hit every organ). What you put in either creates balance/homeostasis or inflammation/toxicity. When your liver gets overwhelmed with hormone- & antibiotic-filled foods that are high fat, high sugar, and/or high protein, it gives up and starts surrounding what it can’t filter with fat & water to protect your organs. Hence the formation of the “spare tire” around your torso.
Fats, sugars, and proteins are necessary for proper body & brain functioning BUT the quality and quantity of those foods is the crux of the function of dysfunction (i.e. inflammation => pain) you experience.
EXAMPLE: I removed all hormone- & antibiotic- meat and dairy, refined sugars, simple carbohydrates, processed snacks, and artificial sweeteners from my nutritional profile well over 6 years ago. Within a year or so of completely removing these things, I began experiencing…..
- weight loss
- improved mood
- increased energy
- off all prescription medications
- clearer thinking & reasoning (most of the time 🙂 )
- triathlete! (this is a constant work in progress but I’m training for Ironman St. George 70.3 for May 2015)
SO, what foods are “yays” & which are “nays”?
The biggest & best way to find out is to go through a supported Inflammation Evaluation that helps you figure out which foods are causing your particular inflammation. There are gentle and non-starving ways to do this assessment and the friendly staff @ Awakened Living Therapeutics (a.k.a. me, Lyndsey Robinson) can guide you in the how & why.
But, if your not ready to know the Mysteries of Your Universe … of pain, then check out the article at the top and the listings below.
Foods that Help:
- Omega-3 Fish: salmon, herring, trout, tuna, & sardines
- Omega-3 Nuts: walnuts, flax seeds (freshly ground), pumpkin seeds, pistachios, pecans, & macadamia nuts
- Tart Cherries (fresh or frozen @ Costco)
- EVOO (don’t heat it or overeat it!)
- Onions & Leeks
- EGCG often found on Green Tea
- Calcium/Vit. D (15 min. in the sun – no sunscreen & dark leafy green vegs; dairy is a poor source of both & causes internal inflammation – use Kerry Gold’s grass-fed butter & cheese if you when you do use dairy)
Foods that Hurt:
- processed foods (because of high sugars & refined carbohydrates)
- high glycemic fruits (like bananas, pineapples, grapes, watermelon, mango, papaya; choose frozen organic berries & green apples for keep your blood sugar more stable)
- sugar (all forms, preference to Stevia Leaf but read the ingredients to ensure it’s just Stevia & maybe inulin fiber OR coconut sugar)
- safflower, corn & soybean oils (use coconut-high heat, sesame-medium, olive-low)
I hope this overview helped.
If you’d like more information, contact me.
Pre- & post- holidays are a great time to rest, restore, & renew your Self and your Life.
Peace & Prosperity to You All!